Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School...


Ahh, the hustle and bustle of the fall begins with the new school year at our house. Emalynn is officially a first grader! I can't believe it...as I sit here and type this...Emalynn is such a blessing to my life...no one could ever know...but I do...and thank you Jesus for giving her to me.

First day of school was yesterday...and it was so much easier to swallow then when I took my baby girl to her first day of Kindergarten. As I woke her sleepy being up, I smiled inside...that proud kind of smile...just watching her as she restled with opening her eyes so early. Summer was kind to her...getting to sleep in until 8 or so...now reality was sinking in. Her new outfit was picked out the night before...snacks made and sitting pretty in her brand new Hannah Montana backpack! The smell of waffles wafted into the bedroom...and my princess opened her beautiful brown eyes...a sweet "Good Morning Mama" uttered from her lips...and I smiled again...with a "Good morning sweet princess" in return.

She quickly jumped up...ran to her bathroom...brushed her teeth...and then got ready in her rockin' new outfit! We sat down at the kitchen table and ate waffles together...such a sweet moment, as we exchanged smiles...I asked her if she was ready...ready for her first day as a big girl...as a first grader. And she smiled, nodding her pretty little head, as I held back tears!

Out the door...to the car...down the street...I asked Emalynn if I could pray for her...and we did. We prayed for an awesome first day of school. We prayed for peace and comfort, for guidance and protection, again, doing my darndest not to cry. Then we noticed the school parking lots full, side streets full...full of eager parents and children wanting to get into the school. Teachers looked excited, principal and assistant principal greeting everyone as they walked through the doors. An overwhelming sense of excitement came over Ema and me as we walked down the hallway toward her class. Then there was nervousness...I could see it in Ema's face, as she went and sat down at her desk...little girls running up to Emalynn to say hi...girls she hadn't seen since the last day of Kindergarten...now big girls like Ema!!

I gave Emalynn a hug, and told her to have a great day! And she obliged...with excitement all over her face when I saw her after school...it was indeed a great first day of school! Thank you Lord...

1 comment:

Tracie said...

So glad she had a great day!