Friday, October 31, 2008

Pretty eventful day yesterday...

Yesterday, my worst nightmare came true! I get a call from Jonathon at 1:05 pm telling me that Emalynn's school put her on the bus after the early release time. This shouldn't be a problem, right?? You know, since she rides the bus to and from school everyday. Well it was all wrong because they WERE NOT supposed to put her on the bus because she should have to the After-school YMCA program because WE WERE NOT HOME!!!!

Emalynn got out of school at 11:20...go back and look at the time that Jon called me! My baby girl got off the bus, walked up to the house, started banging on the door CRYING because her mommy and daddy weren't home! Then she proceeded to walk down the street to a neighbor's house, and no one was there. Thankfully, a VERY FRIENDLY UPS driver saw Emalynn walking on the street and asked her if she was lost. She said no, I got off the bus, and went home, but my mommy and daddy aren't home!!!!!!!!!! UGGHHH...it still breaks my heart just wondering how exactly she felt at that moment...all lost and alone and no where to go...no one to turn to! Well, that UPS driver started knocking on the neighbor's door across the street from us, and lo and behold, the babysitter was there with 2 of the little girls. So he asked if Emalynn could stay with her until we got there. The babysitter then called our other neighbor to let them know what happened so they could call us...so Jon gets the call at 1:00 pm...mind you, he is all the way in Baytown, so he hauls butt across town and gets home about 1:35.

He finds Emalynn safe and sound, and calls me...I speak with her, thanking God along the way that she was ok...and she tells me that her teacher, Ms. Alvis sent her to the YMCA (they meet in the cafeteria of the school), and she sat down to eat her lunch, and the YMCA director told Emalynn it was time to get on the bus. Because Kindergarten got out at 11:20 and the rest of the school got out at 11:30. So her normal routine is to go to the Y when she gets out, and then on the bus when the rest of the school gets out (normal hours for Kindergarten are until 1:50, the rest of the school gets out at 3:20). So, needless to say, I come to find out that because we didn't send a note stating that Emalynn needed to stay in the YMCA, the director put her on the bus.

Seems logical now that I look at it, but what blows my mind is that we had another Early Release day earlier in the month! On October 16th, Emalynn got out early. I told Jon he needed to be home so that he would be there when she got off the bus. Well, he was...and she DID NOT get off the bus! So he calls me and says she wasn't on the bus. So I started thinking, well, I didn't send a note to the teacher asking her to put Emalynn on the bus, so she HAD to be at the YMCA thingy. Right??! Well, she was...and Jonathon specifically talked to the YMCA director to find out what the procedure was...and she told him, just send her with a lunch and we'll watch her until 6:00...so that's what we did yesterday!!! Well, apparently there was a miscommunication between Jonathon and Ms. Tracie (Y Director).

Anyways...I just THANK GOD that the UPS man was a NICE man and helped Emalynn out. There is no telling...had we not gotten a package, or had he not seen her on the street, or even if he did, what if didn't care, or didn't have time to stop to help her??? I can't even imagine!

PRAISE GOD my baby girl is ok...and we're definitely looking into the situation further with the Transportation office, etc. And we're looking into different ways Emalynn could access the house JUST IN CASE no one is home when she gets off the bus! That should never happen...but you never know, I could get stuck behind a major wreck on my way home to be there for her...or whatever. Any ideas??

3 comments:

Tracie said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! I'm practically crying because of this. My heart is racing! I can't imagine the panic you must have felt. Praise God she is okay. Praise him for sending the UPS man. OMG! I'm just broken up about this--so many things could have been different. Praise God for protecting her.

Ideas: try pinning a key inside of her backpack? Definitely get to know the neighbors and their schedules.


(((hugs))))

Neanner said...

*RELEASES A HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF* O....M....G Samina, I feel your pain! I can not even imagine what you have gone through. Tracie said it all! THANK YOU GOD for protecting Emalynn! For sending the right man along her path to help her and THANK YOU UPS for hiring such an honest, caring man. Good greef! I am on the verge of tears thinking about her little face and what she must have felt. Poor Samina! :( I am sooooooo glad that she is ok. I like the idea that Tracie said about pinning a key in her backpack. Show her how to use it and everything and to lock herself in when she gets home and stuff. Make sure she knows how to use the phone to call you or Jon if this ever were to happen again (GOD forbid). Give yourself and Ema and Jon a HUGE hug from our end. I cant imagine how Jon must have felt driving home and he got home fast!

AmaRed said...

i'm SO behind on my blog reading...this is just WOW! thats all i can say is WOW! i am just so glad she was safe. SIGH...poor baby! thank God he had her protected and covered..He saw what was happening and so He sent the UPS man to be there and to see her! thats amazing!